The Town of Kirkland Lake is a single-tier municipality, created in 1972. It consists of the Townships of Teck, Bernhardt and Morrisette. Kirkland Lake was formerly known as the Township of Teck, which was incorporated as a municipality in 1919. Its present boundaries encompass approximately 110 square miles (285 square kilometres).
Municipalities are created by the Province of Ontario to be responsible and accountable governments with respect to matters within their jurisdiction. Each municipality is given powers and duties under the Municipal Act and many other Acts for purposes which include:
The Corporation of the Town of Kirkland Lake operates under the administrative direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) with four departments reporting through the CAO to an elected Town Council. Corporate departments are mandated by Council to provide administrative and operational services considered essential for residents to enjoy a modern, safe and healthy lifestyle.
Click on any of the links below to learn more about an individual department and the services it offers.